Sunday, November 15, 2015

Late Night Pajamas and Rejecting Marriage Proposals

September 28th, 2015

Too many good things happened this week, so I am just going to jump into it. :)

On Monday evening last week, we ended up taking it a little easy
because the Mission Nurse wanted me to rest until Tuesday. But, as we
were getting into our pjs and settling down, the Elders called us.
They ended up running into a woman from Africa who just moved to
Germany and had lost contact with the Church for a few months. The
Elders wanted to give her a Church tour and to introduce her to us.
Sooo, Sister Carroll and I went on a little Abend Sport adventure -
still in our pjs. We met with Tafadzwa at the Church and I instantly
loved her! She is so sweet and fun. We met with her for Stake
Conference this weekend and I ended up translating all of the meetings
for her.

On Tuesday we met with a less-active member. We had a really, really,
REALLY good appointment with her. She has been inactive for quite some
time and had met with Missionaries on and off over the years. We
finally got to the root of her concerns and were able to address them
and make goals together. We are arranging a ride for her to come to
Church in a couple weeks - which will be the first time she has
attended in...I don't know how long. I really have a love for
less-active member work. I know that God cares for all of his Children
and he wants those who have lost their way to find it again.

Later in the week we met with one of investigators, Loridane. She is
12 years old and her parents and one of her sisters are currently in
Romania. They are coming back this next week and the mother and Father
are working on getting married so that they can be baptized and sealed
in the Temple together one day. One of the daughters has heard all
about the Church but has not ever met with Missionaries. So once they
come back, we will start meeting with them again and teaching them all
of the lessons so that they can prepare for Baptism. So exciting!

Awkward story moment of the week: (I should start putting these in my
general emails) Sister Carroll and I are becoming master finders! I
love that she is actively involved in finding. We have been splitting
up on buses, trains and streetcars so that we can talk to twice as
many people. On Friday night, Sister Carroll and I decided to spend a
half an hour on the füß... Sorry, don't know that word in
English...like the mall streets I guess? Anyway, We separated enough
so that we could talk to more people but still see each other. Sort of
like at Street Displays. I like to contact in a variety of ways to
keep things from getting too repetitive, so I chose to do a Survey
that night. I was asking people on the street what sort of faith they
have, how it has influenced them in their lives, and if they believed
in a life after death.

I approached a group of three men, they were all probably a little
older then me. After they agreed to take the Survey, another man
joined their group. And then another man.and another three. And
another one. Before I knew it, I found myself surrounded by nine men.
Sister Carroll was talking to a woman right next to us. For a split
second, I saw her see me in my situation. Later she told me, "yeah I
saw you. But I figured you could handle it!" Haha.

Sooo, I awkwardly went through the Survey went them and long story
short, left with a few marriage proposals and probably some
inappropriate German jokes that I didn't understand. (They don't teach
me that kind of German in my study books!) thank goodness.

But, that night did end successfully. Sister Carroll and I ended up
finding a few new potential investigators and we ended up laughing
about our crazy experiences together.

I can't imagine not having decided to serve a Mission. The people that
I have met and the friendships that I have made are priceless to me.
It really is the best decision anyone can make. I know that I give a
lot as a Missionary, but I feel like Heavenly Father needed ME to meet
these people. Maybe that is a selfish mentality... It is hard to
express my feelings about this. All I can say is that being here has
taught me more and more about what kind of woman I want to be more
than anything else. I am loving and cherishing each day.

Ich habe euch Lieb!!
Sister Helmick

P.S. I promise to send some pictures next week! My computer is having some problems right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment