Sunday, November 15, 2015

Bringing Sonnenschein Into Mannheim

November 2nd, 2015


My entrance into Mannheim has been one of the more unexpected experiences that I have had so far. At the Bahnhof (train station) in Frankfurt where all of the Missionaries meet for transfers, I learned that two new Elders were also entering Mannheim. Brand new. That normally doesn't happen.

Sister Roderer also met us and later that evening we went out for Thai food and had an extensive correlation meeting regarding the Missionary Work in Mannheim. Due to many personal circumstances with previous Missionaries, this area has been dead in a lot of ways as far as progress in the work. We currently have no progressing investigators, with a lot of work laid out in front of us.

On Saturday morning we met with our Bishop and Ward Mission Leader. They had a really serious meeting with us all as we discussed how we can move this work forward. The Spirit was so strong during this meeting. They need us to work harder than we have ever worked before and to earn the trust of the members again. In a lot of ways, I feel like I am opening an area. Starting completely from ground zero. And I have never felt more motivated my entire mission! 

I LOVE Sister Roderer. We challenge each other to be better in every phase of the work. I have never felt more "fitted" to a companion! We have been going, going, going the last few days together and we have plans to simply not stop. This area needs a lot of work, and we are ready to do it. 

Sister Roderer is 24, (her birthday is next week! A week before mine!) she is an AMAZING musician, and she is half Swiss so she grew up speaking German. Her accent is so cool! She plays the flute and has a Bachelor and Masters in Flute Performance (she was homeschooled and started college early). She is so much fun, so personable, and we connect so well. Ahh, I just love her. :) 

I am so grateful that we work so well together because I have already seen some of the miracles from it. Here are two successes from the week: 

1. After brainstorming with the Elders, we came up with the finding idea of carrying around big whiteboards with the question "Sind Sie heute Glücklich?" (Are you happy today?) around the university campus. Underneath the question, we had a section for people on the street to check "Ja", "Jein", and "Nein". (Yes, yes-no, No). It was a major success and it was so much fun! For about 3 hours we went throughout the campus and neighboring streets asking people about what makes them happy and sharing the message of the Gospel that we want to share with everyone. It was so cool to see people on buses, bikes and in cars waving and honking their horns with big thumbs up - indicating that they were happy that day. It was a huge success as we found a lot of people who genuinely wanted to learn more about the message we are sharing. And it was simply exciting to go throughout the streets holding that big sign with smiles on our faces. :) 

2. It was approximately 9pm on Friday night. Sister Roderer and I had literally spent an entire day of finding. Literally a whole 9 hours. And it was awesome! But we were both so exhausted. I have never worked so hard in my life. We decided to head back home and on the way, we decided to stop one last person on the street. Best decision ever.

The man we stopped is named Raphael and he has a very strong belief in Jesus Christ. He was so engaged in our conversation and was so surprised to see how happy we were. He made the comment that he knows we are called of God because there is something different about us. You look up on the streets and see frowns, disconnected people, and generally a lack of enthusiasm. But he told us that when we approached him at night, we looked so genuinely happy that it ignited a curiosity in him to hear what we had to say! 

After we had talked to him for about 5 minutes or so, a friend of Raphael's walked passed us and waved. Raphael then yelled at him and said, "Henry! Die sind Christ!" And then Henry rushed over to join our conversation. 

There have been moments on my mission where I have literally felt an unbelievable power fill me as I testify. This experience with Raphael and Henry was one of those. Sister Roderer and I testified of the divinity of Jesus Christ and the role he played. His organization of His Church and the eventual lost of priesthood power to lead and guide it. God's hand and pattern all throughout time of calling prophets - including in our day. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. As we came to teach about the Book of Mormon and how it acts as a second witness of Jesus Christ, just as the Bible does, an excitement came over us all.

Henry looked at me and said, "you don't understand. I have been looking for answers for so long. And I am never in town at this time. I have another commitment on Friday nights but the last two weeks I have felt that I needed to not go. And then I met you both!" As he was talking, I had the impression to ask him what his first language was. Even though they had great German, I could tell it wasn't their first language.

After he answered saying "Französisch," I literally jumped up and down in excitement as I opened up my purse and pulled out the French copy of the Book of Mormon I felt impressed to bring with me that morning. Man! The look on Henry's face was priceless!

We had such a cool experience with them, that Sister Roderer and I took a selfie with them on the Street. (Attached below) They should be coming to Church this Sunday! 

Lieber Familie und Freunde, I feel so incredibly happy right now! I know how limited my time is as a Missionary. This is the only time in my life where I will be able to stop people on the Street and talk about the teachings of Jesus Christ and the happiness they bring when we follow. Okay, I guess I could do that not as a Missionary...but the name-tag helps. Haha. 

Ich habe euch ganz Lieb! Remember to choose to be happy this week and wear your smiles for others to see. 

Sister Kristyn Helmick

P.S. Funny story of the week: during our finding activity, Sister Roderer and I stopped a man on the street who was tall, and wore glasses. Sister Roderer may or may not have a thing for men in glasses. After asking this guy if he was happy that day, he asked why we were doing this fun activity. We talked about how we are missionaries for the Church and then Sister Roderer talked about what we do as Missionaries. She said that we give up a lot to do this work, including being with family and friends and with completely avoiding his eyes she said, "wir haben keine Betziehungen mit Männer." (We have no relationships with men). He blushed and then giggled. When we walked away I couldn't contain myself and started laughing - all the while Sister Roderer was sooo embarrassed! 


Sonnenschein in German means Sunshine in English. :)


Day 1 in Mannheim. 3 new missionaries.

Our white boarding contact pic.

Raphael and Henry selfie on Friday night.

Leaving Herne pictures. I am really going to miss these people. I guess this makes up for me never sending pictures home from Herne.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment