Monday, March 30, 2015

Most Difficult; Most Rewarding.


Wow. This week was one of the most difficult weeks I have had since being out here - and it was also one of the most rewarding. I have never felt more inspired and motivated to be a Missionary. 

Being a Missionary is not easy, it isn't supposed to be, nor did I ever expect it to be. Every day, we, as Missionaries, face rejection. That is not uncommon. But this week, oh mensch, there were times where I felt like my heart was breaking in two. 

On one occasion this week, Sister Lyman and I were cornered - literally, by a man and a group of preachers who wanted nothing to do but argue and yell at us. All we could do was tell them that we aren't here to argue, we are simply trying to share what we believe to be the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Another instance, we were chatting with a young man casually on a train on our way to an appointment. Once he saw our nametags, we explained that we are Missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ. Immediately, he started using every foul word imaginable to describe God - and us. 

As I was thinking about these two experiences this week, my heart and my thoughts turned to the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I was seeking to better understand my personal role as a Missionary and why this work can sometimes be so hard. 

An Apostle of the Lord, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said, "I am convinced that missionary work is not easy, because salvation is not a cheap experience. Salvation never was easy. How could we believe it was easy for us when it was never, ever easy for Him?"

Jesus Christ performed miracle after miracle and he was repeatedly rejected. As I read through the scriptures, I am constantly amazed at His example. The day after we were persecuted by the group of preachers, I read this verse from the Book of Mormon.

"And the world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a thing of naught; wherefore they scourge him, and he suffereth it; and they smite him, and he suffereth it. Yea, they spit upon him, and he suffereth it, because of his loving kindness and his long-suffering towards the children of men." 

The repeated phrase "and he suffereth it" really stuck with me this week. Everytime I am persecuted for my beliefs, all I have to do is remind myself of the name I wear everyday. I am out here, in Germany, not to be on a vacation or see beautiful buildings and architecture. I am here, because of Jesus Christ. He lives. 

I promise this week wasn't all bad though! I attended a beautiful baptism, I traveled to Trier, the oldest city in Germany for a street display, celebrated Elder Taylor's birthday, and Sister Lyman and I found a new investigator to teach! 

Love,
Sister Helmick


Preparing for Elder Taylor's Surprise Birthday party!





One of the oldest Roman buildings in Trier!

Elder Taylor gave us birthday masks... Hulk!


This is what we do when we prepare to teach an investigator a lesson...

Homemade tortillas...prep for birthday.

They like to take pics of me sleeping...

No comments:

Post a Comment