Wednesday, March 4, 2015

First Week in Deutschland!


 Well, I'm here! In Germany. It is Kind of a strange Feeling. I wake up each morning and have to remind myself that I am in Germany. Not in the MTC and not in Oregon, but in Germany. 

I am serving in Saarbrücken! I am living sort of in the Slums of the City. It has a similar Feeling to it that Portland has. There are a lot of People here and a lot of cars. Parallel parking galore! It is beautiful here though. So many trees and so much green - even during this time of the year. 

Wow, have I been humbled this week. This Mission is not about me or about my wants and Needs. I am not fantastic with the German language, or with Navigation through public Transportation. I have to rely solely on my Trainer, Sister Lyman, for help. She is teaching me how to get along well in this area. 

We are the first Sisters to serve in Saarbrücken in over 20 years! So the members are incredibly grateful to have us. Our Gemeinde (ward) is so great. Everyone here is so loving and so friendly. 

Missionary work is not exactly what I expected here. I imagined getting of our flight and immediently street contacting or proselyting in some way. We still street contact but it is not our priority here. There is a lot of help needed in the ward. The members Need Support and they Need to be loved. Especially the women - and because the Elders cannot serve These People in the same way, the Bishopric have asked us to visit teach the women in the Church. 

So each day we meet with one of two in-active or active members and serve them in anyway we can. We always share a spiritual message and encourage them to continue to develop their relationship with our Heavenly Father. 

I am amazed at what the Lord has been able to do with my heart. I worried about being able to love These People before coming here. I worried that I would not be able to understand what they were saying to me and not be able to convey my Feelings to them in German. At my first appointment I realized just how wrong I was. 

I almost feel like the Grinch when he was softened towards the Christmas season. My heart grew three sizes in my chest. I felt an immediate love for These People. Even though there is still a language barrier, I am working hard to overcome it. And what really matters is that I am trying, because These People can see that. They may laugh at me to poke fun, but they know that I am trying. 

Matthew 10:39:
"He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it."
I am here because of Jesus Christ. He lives. I know that with everything I am. The only way to Lasting happiness and peace in this life is through following Jesus Christ, and losing ourselves in the Service to others. 

I love you all!
--Sister Helmick

Kristyn and Natalya were able to see one another in the MTC! :)

Sister Helmick & Syster Nielsen's last photo together in the MTC.

President Woffinden and I.

The Missionaries headed to Germany! 
Last pic with Sister Peterson and I. We matched.

Last meal at the MTC - some of us go with apples, some with Cookies. ;)



Kristyn's new companion, Sister Lyman is on the right. On the left is Sister Lyman's trainer. Three generations of  missionaries.

Service Project pic. We took down all of the wallpaper and paint. Europeans take down all the wallpaper and the flooring when they move.

No comments:

Post a Comment