Friday, July 10, 2015

New Beginnings and The Death of Loved Ones

June 8th, 2015
 

Hello Everyone!
The last two weeks have been a period of growth for me. Sister Bates and I have been SO busy with Missionary Work here in Saarbrücken! We are helping one of our investigators, Stella, prepare for baptism. She comes from Ghana and she is expecting her first child in three months! Stella is so sincere and she has made so many personal sacrifices to be where she is at right now in life. Another wonderful man in our ward, Rudiger, will be baptized this Saturday. He is one of the most energetic people I know! He is in his 70's and every since I have met him, he has been serving others. Every time a family in our ward has moved, he's been there to help. And what I love the most about him is his energy and his love for life. I want to be like him when I am in my 70's!

 The next three weeks in a row, Sister Bates and I will be attending Baptisms. It is one of the most exciting times for someone. A new Beginning. I am so grateful that I will be able to take part in these people lives, and share this special day with them.
On a personal note, recently I have been confronted with sad news. There have been several deaths - whether from friends, relatives, friends of friends, or people I have met here in Germany. Let me start by saying that I have never suffered the death of a close friend or parent. I don't know what that is like. Every day I am grateful to God that I have the wonderful people in my life that I do have. They mean the world to me - and it took me coming out on a mission to realize just how fully I love my family and close friends. That being said, I want to offer my personal condolences to those who have suffered the death of a loved one recently. And I want to share something that I have learned - a miracle that I personally experienced this last week.
It is about the principle of Gratitude... Let me start off with my experience:
On Friday of last week, I was on a train with Sister Bates. We were making our way to K-Town where we meet up with our Sister Training Leaders for splits. It was on this train ride that we received a phone call. Sister Bates took the call. As she was speaking, I put two-and-two together. She was talking with the ex-daughter-in-law of Sister Lieber. Frau Rausch is her name. We have had special contact with Frau Rausch recently, because Sister Lieber's health has been declining every since we visited her in the Hospital. Frau Rausch has been taking great care of Sister Lieber. We had an appointment with them scheduled for this following Tuesday, and we had been waiting for Frau Rausch to call us back to confirm the appointment.
As soon as I heard the words "Es tut uns sehr leid" I knew what had happened. Sister Bates didn't need to explain anything to me after she finished talking to Frau Rausch. I asked her how it happened, and she responded by telling me that she passed away peacefully in her sleep just a day previously.

For about five minutes, I let myself cry. Sister Lieber has been apart of my Beginning here in Saabrücken. From week 1 - to now, I have visited her, I have talked to her, and I have learned that you don't need to speak the same perfect language to learn to love someone. She taught me that.
On that train, I crossed my arms and bowed my head. I offered a quick prayer to our Heavenly Father and I thanked him for letting me meet Sister Lieber. As I finished that prayer - I learned one of the greatest lessons I have ever learned in my life. At least up to this point. I reflected on my last few weeks. Even that very day. We had had a Street Display in Idar Oberstein and I had contacted several women who had all experienced recent deaths. I swear - EVERY person I contacted and talked to that Day... I taught them about The Plan of Salvation. So as I wiped away my tears, and I thought about what I know. What I have shared. What I believe.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf can explain this much more eloquently than I can:
"Everyone’s situation is different, and the details of each life are unique. Nevertheless, I have learned that there is something that would take away the bitterness that may come into our lives. There is one thing we can do to make life sweeter, more joyful, even glorious.We can be grateful! It might sound contrary to the wisdom of the world to suggest that one who is burdened with sorrow should give thanks to God. But those who set aside the bottle of bitterness and lift instead the goblet of gratitude in find a purifying drink of healing, peace, and understanding.
True gratitude is an expression of hope and testimony. It comes from acknowledging that we do not always understand the trials of life but trusting that one day we will.
In any circumstance, our sense of gratitude is nourished by the many and sacred truths we do know: that our Father has given His children the great plan of happiness; that through the Atonement of His Son, Jesus Christ, we can live forever with our loved ones; that in the end, we will have glorious, perfect, and immortal bodies, unburdened by sickness or disability; and that our tears of sadness and loss will be replaced with an abundance of happiness and joy, 'good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over.'"
I read this talk a few weeks ago, and since reading it, I have reflected on it again and again. I know that there have been personal lessons that He has wanted me to learn. Lessons that I am still in the middle of learning. I want you all to know how much I love this Gospel. I know with everything I am that because of what Jesus Christ did for us - because of His Atonement - we WILL be with our loved ones again. I know that as a Truth because I have received that personal witness from the Holy Ghost this week. I know that I will see Sister Lieber again one day. But for right now, I am so grateful that I was able to apart of her story, and that she was able to be apart of mine.
All my love,
Sister Helmick

 

P.S. For anyone who would like to continue reading this Talk from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, here is the link:
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/grateful-in-any-circumstances?lang=eng
Having too much fun at the YSA party.

My reaction when I eat German food that is supposedly "American".

Elder Tishner decided that I was strong enough to wheel him around during our Street Display...and he broke my bag. Elders!

Only in Heidelberg...would I bring my camera on my morning jog. Splits with Sister Shurts!


Hike with the YSA.

Hike picture.

All my companions TOGETHER!Missionary-Member Work Conference in K-Town. Yes, my Trainer is now comps with my MTC Companion. Yes, it is weird. Did I mention Sister Peterson's Trainer was Sister Bates MTC companion? Are you confused? I don't blame you. Me too. ;)

Anna Katrin and I.

Hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment