Monday, July 20, 2015

The little things we do for each other make all the difference

June 22nd, 2015
Hello Family and Friends,

This week has been incredibly busy and so exciting! I am going to jump out of my seat as I am typing this email entry... I am just so happy and excited for what the next few weeks will bring! 

Let's start with Stella:


This week Sister Bates and I met with Stella almost everyday. Her baptismal date is for the 27th of this month - so this coming Saturday!

On Tuesday, we coordinated with the Elders and worked it out to throw a little surprise birthday party for Stella. To her surprise, we came to her door with a plate full of homemade cupcakes and the Elders brought some Vanilla Ice Cream - her favorite. She just moved here from Italy (she previously lived in Ghana) and all of her friends are in Italy. So we crafted the idea to throw her a little party because we knew that she wouldn't be able to have it with her friends back home. She was SO happy! The little things we do for each other make all the difference.

We told Stella about our upcoming Transfer Calls on Saturday and explained the possibility of one of us being transferred. She looked up at us and said firmly "No! You have to stay for me. But if you go, will you write me?" Ahhh! I love Stella. (Also, Sister Bates and I are staying together for another transfer in Saarbrucken!)

On Sunday a member of the Quorum of the Seventy came to visit our ward, Elder Jörg Klebingat. He is natively from Germany. After the Bishopric announced Stella's baptism, Elder Klebingat came up to the poduim and said "Lieber Brüder, Lieber Schwestern....einen moment, ich will auf English sprechen." He then called Stella out in the middle of the Church - congratulating her in English for her decision to be baptized. He then gave her a few words of wisdom. He said (paraphrasing) "build your testimony on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This Church is true. The Sister Missionaries are great and the Members here are fantastic people. But don't become converted for them. Build your testimony and your foundation on the Truth."

I am so grateful that he did that! Stella felt so special that he addressed her personally in front of the Church Congregation. Everyone has opened their arms to Stella, especially this Sunday. But his words are so true. As much as I love Stella, I would never want her to enter into this covenant with God for me. Her desires and her actions show me how committed she is to this Gospel and I feel so blessed to be a part of her life. She is so special, funny, beautiful, caring, and she has a sincere desire to simply do what is right. 

Next, Service Project:

On Friday and Saturday, Sister Bates and I went over to help a family in our ward move. We spent several hours peeling the wallpaper off of the walls as other people from the Gemeinde and the Elders helped move and organize boxes. They had so much help with this move, I was so happy to see that everyone was there to support this family. On Sunday, our Bishop asked the wife of this family to come up and bear her testimony. With tears, she thanked all of the people who came to help her move. They could not have done it alone with three small children! It made me feel so good to have been able to spend a few hours making a big difference to them. 

---

I feel so happy! As I was preparing to serve my Mission - SO many people told me that it would be so hard. That there would be a lot of stress, hard work, discouraging moments, and so on. Yes - I won't lie, there are definitely discouraging moments on a Mission. But the happiness that I feel overshadows any sorrow that I've experienced. To any of you considering serving a Mission - please do! This has been the best decision I have ever made in my life (besides joining the Church). As I have been able to work closing with Stella - and to have been a part of Rüdiger's conversion as well, I have felt so fulfilled. Words cannot describe what a Mission is like. 

"Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel" (Alma 26:16). 

Have a great week everyone! 
Liebe Grüße,
Sister Helmick


Service Project - spending four hours taking down wallpaper by hand!

Everytime someone moves in Germany, all of the wallpaper has to be removed. It is a big pain! It took a LOT of time. 

Sister Bates and Stella!

Stella, "Sister Helmick - this picture makes us look so short!" Hahaha!

Stella and I. :)

Sisters Shurts, Brough and I.


The only one we could find...was FIVE sizes too big! haha! No thank you. 

Cupcakes and ice cream for Birthdays!

Elder Weigel and Stella - Surprise Birthday Party!

No comments:

Post a Comment