Monday, July 20, 2015

Karate Chopping and Rudiger's Baptism!

June 15th, 2015
On Wednesday, I had a really powerful experience during our District Meeting. Our District Leader, Elder Thurgood, gave a Thema (lesson) on conquering our limits. He handed each of us a thick board of wood. On one side, he had us write down our limits. What stops us from being the best Missionaries we can be. What holds us back. What our fear and doubts and concerns are. Then, on the other side, he had us write down what we could be if we didn't have those limits holding us back.
Then, he taught us how to break our boards. He studied Martial Arts and demonstrated to us how to cut through our limits (literally..chopping through them). We all got in a line and went about trying to karate chop our boards - facing the side of our concerns, fears, and doubts. Obviously, it was a symbolic activity. But mensch! It was so hard!
I think I tried to chop my board about 30 times. I failed AGAIN and AGAIN. But I kept on trying. Every time I went to chop my board, I hesitated. I think psychologically, I didn't think that I could do it.  And that is where a large majority of my fears come from. Feeling scared that I won't be able to reach my full potential, that I am not "enough." But what I learned that day is simply that I am. I just need to keep on trying. Even though it took me 29 times of failing (and seriously hurting my hard!) I cracked that board on that 30th time! And oh my goodness, it felt SO good to be able to do that. I attached the video of when I finally did it! I was sooo happy.
This experience reminded me of several scriptures that have been helping me each day:

"Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not" (D&C 6:36) and "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13).

-------
On Saturday, Rudiger was baptized!! This man is so wonderful! It has been such a privilege to be able to have gotten to know him and see how much he has grown and changed in the last few months. I think one of the sweetest experiences about being on a Mission is saying people repent, seeing the changes the make in their lives and witnessing them come closer to Christ. I was honored to be asked to bear my testimony during his baptismal service and to be a part of his day.
Afterwards, the Elders and Sister Bates and I met Rudiger and together we traveled to the Arizona Burger Restaurant. It is an American-styled restaurant full of Elvis Presley decorations. It was a ton of fun!
I love you all! Have a great week!
Liebe,
Sister Helmick
 
 
 
One of the happiest men I know! Rudiger on his baptismal day!


No comments:

Post a Comment