Sunday, January 3, 2016

Improvement

 
 
 
 
November 23rd, 2015 
 
 
We came home every single night this week late. That has got to be a record! And one that I hope to not make a habit this next week. I am SO tired. I have felt like my head hits the pillow at night and then the alarm goes off five minutes later indicating it is time to wake up again and start my day again. 

I think one of the biggest miracles this week was the overwhelming feeling of love I felt on Monday night. It had been a hard, emotional day for me. Our Pday had just ended and I was feeling homesick and tired. It wasn't the birthday that I wanted when I woke up on Monday morning. Right when we started street contacting, I received a phone call from an unknown number. Sister Roderer and I had just started talking to a nice man and I pulled off to the side to take the phone call. Right when I answered saying, "Hallo, heir ist Sister Helmick," I heard a loud chorus of "Happy Birthday to you!" That screamed into my ear. My old Ward Herne had called me up! They had gotten together for an activity and had remembered my birthday. I was able to briefly talk with many of the members and missionaries. It turned my birthday around completely. Later that evening, I received a phone call from the Wilcoxs! My FAVORITE Senior Couple who were with me in Saarbrücken for 6 months. I talked with Sister Wilcox for a good half-an-hour or so, which was sooo needed. Right when I was feeling so happy and simultaneously sad, my Mission President called me to wish me a personal congrats on my 2 year mark and to thank me for my service. 

I needed that. Right when I was about to break because I was so sad, Heavenly Father reached out to show me His love through people I have met here. I know that He works through others to answer our prayers, because He answered the prayers of my heart that night. 

On Tuesday we drove out to Frankfurt and were able to participate in a live-conference that was broadcasted all throughout Europe. Elder Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was there and he talked a lot about how we can work with the Church Leaders with their Missionary work. After the Conference, I was reunited with two of my previous companions, Sister Bates and Sister Lyman! It was so great to see them both and talk about memories from my first area, Saarbrücken. 

Speaking of Saarbrücken, I will be reunited with some of the members during Stake Conference this Sunday! Words cannot do justice in describing how excited I am. I can't wait to see Stella, Sister Dehdari, Rüdiger, Anne-Katrin, the Franz family and others. I loved my time in Saarbrücken and will forever cherish my time there. 

We also met with Sandra again this week. She is the most prepared and humble person I have ever met. She is currently praying for which day she should be baptized on! I am constantly amazed by how little I do as a Missionary. Heavenly Father has placed people in front of us that He has prepared for years. It is such a privilege and blessing!

With that being said, Sister Roderer and I have also been pretty humbled this week. We met with Raphael on Thursday and Friday. Had two incredible lessons with him, and then found out that he actually lives outside of our area. So this next week, we will be meeting all together with the Speyer Elders who will then meet with and teach Raphael. I am excited for him because he is also an incredible example of someone who has been prepared his entire life for the Gospel. 

What was humbling about this experience, was the fact that Sister Roderer and I had just "given up" two of our other investigators to the Elders. We had both felt that these other two men would be better taught by the Elders. That left Sister Roderer and I back to ground zero again. Back to working with members and finding new people to teach. But that's okay, because I felt the peace of the Spirit confirm to me that we are doing what God wants and needs us to do. So much in life is about accepting God's Will and timing in our lives. 

Everyone...I really can't describe this experience. Service changes you. And service as a full-time missionary stretches you in ways you didn't know you needed to be stretched. There have been moments where I have wondered why this couldn't be easier, why the process has to be so hard and painful at times. I have many perfectionistic tendencies and it has been a struggle to give that up and accept the fact that life will always be a staircase of improvement. I will always be striving to be better and moving forward to overcome weaknesses and mistakes. 

I am currently in Ether in the Book of Mormon, and I came across a well-known, powerful verse in Chapter 12 this week. 

"27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

I have seen this promise come true. With very obvious weaknesses -such as my struggle through the German language and seeing God expand my abilities and give me the words that I need in the exact moments...to the personal, not-seen-on-the-surface weaknesses that I experience on a daily basis. As I give myself over to Christ, I can feel Him take my weaknesses and transform them into exactly what they need to be. The Gospel is all about progression, continually walking up that staircase until we return Home. 

I guess you could say that I am just taking one day at a time right now. Trying to become a little stronger, love a little more, and always remembering to laugh along the way. :) 

Love,
Sister Kristyn Helmick

And of course I can't forget to include a funny story of the week! Courtesy of my descriptive companion, Sister Roderer. She really can tell a story much better than I can:

We wanted to have a Street Display on Saturday, but it started to rain.
A lot.
So we decided in order to have this street display, we would need to
have a tent to cover us and the copies of the Book of Mormon, so we
got permission to buy one, and went on a hunt for a tent.
I asked Siri (on the iPad) where there were stores with camping gear,
and we were directed to two possible locations.
I picked the one closest to us and off we went, ducking under drippy
doorways and avoiding puddles.
After ten minutes of walking like this, we found ourselves in a rather
sketchy part of Mannheim.
Finally we get to this weird corner of the street and I'm looking for
the address, and I see this dingy looking store, which I walk right
by, because I'm looking for a camping store, not a dim-lit kiosk.
My mistake.
This dim-lit kiosk with the cartoon whale on the side with the sign
"Moby Dick Fishing" on the side was Siri's recommendation.
Never again, Siri. We're over.
I sort of, cautiously pull the door knob and peek inside, then
immediately shut it again.
"Sister Helmick.... I don't think we are going to find our tent in
there. I don't want to go in, we'll look super awkward."
But, I figure that I'm just being a baby, and should go in there.
So we do.
This shop is about as big as our bedroom, and is covered, wall to
ceiling in all sorts of lures and fishing poles.
The only people in the store are three very German men, two of which
are burly, and all three of which are hairy.
One very fast glance around, and I knew we probably wouldn't find our
tent there.
The men, meanwhile are looking at us in total confusion.
Not every day you see two well-dressed white American girls in their
twenties checking out the local German fishing store.
Little did they know that we were actually expert fisher women, only
we fish for a different sort. (See Matthew 4:19 or Mark 1:17)
We did find fishing waders large enough to be a tent, but decided against it.
We are still tent-less, but we've been culturally enriched.


Willie, the son of one of our investigator, calls us "Tante" or
"Auntie" and hugs us repeatedly before we leave our appointments. He
is so fun :)

Willie, Sister Roderer and I.

Sister Roderer likes taking selfies.

Mannheim National Theater. In respect for France.

No comments:

Post a Comment