Sunday, January 3, 2016

Giving Thanks

November 30th, 2015


This week started out pretty painful...literally. We were at a dinner appointment with a Turkish family we visit weekly. They normally don't feed us, but for whatever reason they really wanted to make us some good Turkish food. 

We got to the appointment with a feast placed before us. Literally. SO MUCH FOOD. I immediately started tackling the food, trying to eat the foods that I don't like as much first so that I could have the best for last, you know? Well, I get to the vegetable and potatoes part of the dish. There is this huge green pepper-looking thing, and I rolled it up into one giant bite and shoved it into my mouth. Right when I started chewing, the woman who prepared the food cried out to warn me and said, "Vorsicht! Das ist ganz scharf!" (Careful, that is super spicy!) At this point, I had already started chewing into the pepper, and I thought it would be embarrassing to spit it out onto my plate, so I braced myself, chewed, and then swallowed. The results were not instantaneous.

At first, I felt the slight tingle of the burn creep into my throat. I started marking the "Ow, owe" sounds and drank a few sips of the Sprite they gave me. And then the pain came on full-throttle. From the tip of my tongue, all the way down to my heart was the most intense burning and stinking pain I have yet to experience from food. Immediately, tears started pouring out of my eyes and I started to panic. The mother had her children run into the kitchen and grab me Goat's milk and yogurt to tame the heat. Meanwhile, I sat there nearly hyperventilating, while the mother's four other children huddled around me with their huge, staring eyes and my companion patted my back. It was SO embarrassing and lasted for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, the mother kept on saying "Es tut mir sehr leid Sister Helmick!"again and again. Turns out, I ate a Paprika type Turkish pepper, known for being incredibly hot to the Turkish natives...least of all an American girl who can barely stand medium-salsa. Thank heavens I didn't serve in South America or Mexico. I would've died.

Now onto the week... Tuesday to Wednesday, I was with Sister Bunderson on a split. On Wednesday we had Zone Training in Heidelberg and right afterwards a Zone Finding activity in Mannheim. By "Zone Finding activity" what I mean is that we handed about ten missionaries our cards and had them travel throughout the mall füß for about an hour or two. Thursday was pretty special - we had a Thanksgiving District Meeting and ate a lot of Turkey and sweets. Friday was a day full of finding and cancelled appointments, it happens sometimes. And then Saturday and Sunday finally came by! :) 

On Saturday and Sunday, we were able to attend Stake Conference, and I was able to see so many of my favorite people! Saarbrücken still has the biggest part of my heart. I feel like I really learned how to love people there. It was definitely the highlight of my week.

It is interesting how I have found myself becoming homesick for my previous areas. Missions are really heartbreaking at times. You become invested in an area -focused on those around you and filled with an indescribable love for them. Serving and serving, until you get transferred and your whole world is pulled from you and you are thrown into a new area - or a new world. 

Transfers are coming up again this Saturday. I wonder if Sister Roderer and I will stay together... It is just so unpredictable. For someone who loves controls (like me) Missions can drive you insane. It requires you to give up the reins and trust that God knows better than you.

I'm sorry this isn't the most detailed General Email entry. My brain is tired. And I feel like I can't speak in any language right now. Just the other day, I stopped a lady on the Street and she told me she couldn't speak German. After asking her "Was sprechen Sie?" She told me she speaks English. You think I would've jumped up and down right? Nope! I instead preceded to talk to her in the most broken English I have ever uttered....Sister Roderer had to TRANSLATE my ENGLISH for me. Family - don't be surprised if my English is weird when I come home. 

Through all the business and craziness of this week, I am filled with gratitude. Gratitude for my family and friends. For the wonderful people I have met here in Germany. For a loving Heavenly Father who shows me time and time again that He will never give up on me even when I start giving up on myself. Grateful for a Savior. 

Grateful...Thanksgiving does that to you, right? My challenge to you all is to make every day a grateful one this year. Don't wait until next Thanksgiving to tell the ones you love how much you appreciate them. 

I have you all love!
Sister Kristyn Helmick

We took a few pictures at the train station. :)


Sister Roderer and I accidentally matched. Glasses, scarf, and two-brunettes

Oma Schroeder!

Rüdiger and Schwester Kras from Saarbrucken.

Thanksgiving District meeting - American style.


No comments:

Post a Comment