Monday, February 16, 2015

Apparently I'm fluent in German!

...in my sleep. 

This week has been a more challenging week with our language study. We have been learning more grammar, sentence structure, different conjugations of regular and irregular verbs, etc. Anyway, I have found myself on my knees more this week, pleading for help, that I have ever before. Heavenly Father has answered my prayers, just not in the way I expected. 

For four nights in a row, from the minute my head hit my pillow, till the time I woke up in the morning, I was thinking and dreaming in German. I was dreaming about teaching my investigators in German and just talking out loud in German. How cool is that?! It gets better.

After a few nights of having these dreams, I told my companion about them during breakfast. She had a huge smile on her face and she told me - - 

"Oh, I know! I hear you in your sleep every night." She then told me that she would hear me use perfect German. Everything that we had been learning in class - correct sentence structure, grammar, vocabulary, etc. 

Soooo, my subconscious knows how to speak in German. Now I have to worry about being fluent while I'm still conscious. ;)

This experience has strengthened my faith. I had doubts about my personal ability to learn this language. And it definitely did not come easily the first two weeks. But I trust God and I know that I have been called by Him, through a Prophet, to go to Germany. Heavenly Father knows that I can learn this language, and I believe that with His help, I can. 

These two verses from the Book of Mormon really helped me this week:

Ether 11:6 "...faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith."

and Moroni 7:26 "...Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is good, in faith  believing that ye shall receive, behold, it shall be done unto you." 

We have to have faith first! God can work no miracles if we do not first believe that He can. I have seen that this week. Once I pushed aside my negative thoughts about learning German - and really believed that God would help me...that is when I started seeing miracles. I am progressing in this language, not just in my sleep - I promise! :) 

I know that God is real. Ich weiss. I know that He wants to hear from all of us - because we are ALL His Children. 

All my love,

Sister Helmick


Lone Elder - I just liked that picture.

I ran into Elder Stott from Oregon! :)

I love the mountains in Utah. I'm going to miss them. 



"Our District is our Family in the MTC, and for all time."

13 days until Germany! Less than two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment